Monday, September 22, 2008

A new friend

Claire and her little friend Kade found the tiniest little caterpillar in the backyard last week. Unfortunately, it became her new pet. She created a home for it in one of my Rubbermaid containers and she's been carrying it around in her hand. Anyone who came to our house had to see it. We had a few close calls when she dropped it in the grass. I was somehow able to find it before she completely fell apart. With a lot of effort, I convinced her to keep it on the back porch. This morning, she went to check on it and discovered it was gone. As I quickly tried to come up with something to tell her to help her from having a complete meltdown, she said, "Mom, I know what happened. It turned into a butterfly last night and flew away." and my reply was, "Yes Claire, I think it did." So for right now, caterpillars magically turn into butterflies over night.


Here's the best picture I could get of it.

6 comments:

Linde said...

That is too cute! She is getting so big too fast! I am glad that it turned into a butterfly over night. I might just have to use that one sometime:)

lisa said...

Oh, how sweet. I love that she came up with that solution herself. What a sweet girl.

Lindalu said...

Whew, you lucked out! So cute!

Travis and Ashlee said...

That is so cute that she knew what happened to it!! She is a smarty.

FrankNApril said...

That is so sweet!
No meltdown and a happy little girl! Yeah! We saw Brayden at Tropical Smoothies yesterday. He is getting so grown up! He is a cute boy! April

Chandra said...

What a cute girl! Glad things turned out for the best and not in a meltdown. Speaking of pets, there isn't a hamster in your future too is there? It's all Lauren talks about and Shelby seems to think she might be getting one. HELP I'll be outnumbered in the fight against no hamsters!!!