Thursday, August 16, 2007

No more cups!

I finally did what I've told myself that I would do for a while now. I threw away all of Claire's cups. She started using these when she was about a year old. At first I thought is was great that she was taking a cup, but after a while she became very attached. We did not leave the house with out one. When she was happy to take them empty, it was obvious that they were mostly a pacifier. She would stroke her ear with one hand while holding the cup in the other. Everyday she would put herself to sleep this way. I have to say, these cups sure made life simpler for me. I knew taking them would be just as hard if not harder for me than her. She cried several times the first few days. In desperation, she went on a cup hunt and managed to dig up a few more. I thought I had found all of them. A few nights ago she started fussing for a "baby cup". I told her that she was a big girl and didn't need them anymore. She looked up at me and asked, "can I just have one more?" She reminded me of an alcoholic begging for one more drink. We are on day five and she's doing great. I think this was more my addiction than hers.

1 comment:

lisa said...

Congratulations! Those "addictions" are so hard to break. Good to hear she is 5 days "sober." :)Good luck with that. Hopefully we can see you in a couple weeks!